Complaint Process

 Complaint Process

 NHS England

The handling of complaints within the NHS changed on 1 April 2013 to align with the new structure of the NHS. In most cases complaints should and will, in the first instance, be made directly to the provider (GP).

If the complainant does not wish to complain directly to the service provider (GP) then the complaint should be raised with the commissioner of that service.

All Primary Care complaints should be directed to the National Contact Centre (NCC) at:

National Contact Centre (NCC)

NHS England

PO Box 16738

Redditch, B97 9PT

Telephone: 0300 311 22 33

E mail:


240 Wexham Road Surgery



Inevitably in any busy organisation there will be things that do not work as well as they might.  No system is ever perfect.  Like any quality organisation, we are determined to our best to rectify any shortcoming and try to ensure that the same problem will not occur again.  For this reason we need your help.  If you have a problem please firstly share it with a member of staff - in person or by phone (01753 517530) and let us have the opportunity to resolve the situation as best we can. If, however, you feel you wish to make your complaint more formal please feel free to write to our Practice Manager, Dr Veena Sharma, who is the Practice's Complaints Manager.

We will investigate your complaint with a view to rectifying the situation or producing a solution to the problem. Alternatively you can use the form below to register your complaint with us. We will take complaints seriously as we wish to provide the best service possible and with your help, together we can create the best surgery for us all.

 What do we do next?

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible and we will acknowledge receipt within 3 working days and aim to have looked into the matter within 10 working days. You may then receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue. If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to:

Find out what happened and what went wrong and why

Make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned.

Ensure that you receive an apology where this is appropriate

Identify what we can do to make sure the problem does not arise again

If a meeting is arranged you may bring a friend or relative with you.

When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined and a final response sent to you.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.

 Complaining on behalf of someone else

We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality.

If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with someone else about it.

Please ask at reception for the Complaints Form which contains a suitable authority for the patient to sign to enable the complaint to proceed.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply.

We may still need to correspond direct with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party and this depends on the wording of the authority provided.

Making a Complaint

If you are not happy with the care or treatmenthave received from our practice you have the right to complain, have your complaint investigated, and be given a full and prompt reply.

Any complaint correspondence is held separately from your medical records and you will not be discriminated against in any way for complaining about your care.

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first.

Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be within 12 months of the incident or as soon as the matter first came to your attention.

If you are a registered patient you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. See the separate section in this leaflet.

We are able to provide you with a separate complaints form to register your complaint and this includes a third-party authority form to enable a complaint to be made by someone else. Please ask at reception for this. You can provide this in your own format providing this covers all the necessary aspects.

Send your written complaint letter / form to:

The Practice Manager, 240 Wexham Road Surgery, Slough, Berks, SL2 5JP

Here is the practice Complaints Form

If You Are Dissatisfied With The Outcome:

If possible, we will try to resolve your concerns within the practice. However, if you are still dissatisfied once you have received our response you can contact:/ NHS England, you may approach the Ombudsman:


The Parliamentary and Health Service

Ombudsman Millbank Tower Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP


Tel:   0345 0154033


Who Else Can Help?


Making a complaint can be daunting, but there is help available from the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB):



If you have a complaint or a concern about the service you have received from the doctors or any of the personnel working in this practice, please let us know.


We operate a practice complaint procedure as part of an NHS complaints system, which meets or exceeds national criteria.



Reviewed & Updated October 2019

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website